Gift Aid FAQs

What is Gift Aid?

Gift Aid is a scheme run by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) which allows charities to reclaim the tax you have paid on your donations. It means we receive an extra 25% on top of your donations and membership subscriptions without it costing you a penny more.

What is a Gift Aid declaration?

It is a statement you make to say you would like us to claim back the tax you have already paid on your donations and membership subscriptions from HMRC.

Who can make a Gift Aid declaration?

To be eligible to sign up for Gift Aid you must be a UK taxpayer and you must pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax in the current tax year (6 April to 5 April) that is at least equal to the amount of tax that all the charities and Community Amateur Sports Clubs you donate to will reclaim on your gifts in the same tax year. Council Tax and VAT do not qualify.

What about donations I’ve made in the past?

A Gift Aid declaration allows us to reclaim an extra 25% on any eligible donations made in the past four years as well as for all future donations.

How long does it last for?

You only need to make one Gift Aid declaration, which is valid until you contact us to cancel it.

What does it commit me to?

Nothing at all - you can cancel your declaration at any time.

How do I cancel my Gift Aid declaration?

Email us at or call us on 020 7339 8500.

What if I’m a lower rate taxpayer?

We can still claim back 25p for each £1 you donate, provided you pay enough tax, as detailed above.

What if I’m a higher rate taxpayer?

We can still claim back 25p for each £1 you donate. As a higher rate taxpayer, if you declare your donations on your tax return, you can claim a rebate based on the difference between the higher rate and the basic rate when you fill in your self-assessment form.

What if I’m a pensioner?

If you pay tax on a private pension plan or a savings account then you’re eligible to make a Gift Aid declaration. If you pay Capital Gains Tax, for example if you sell property or shares, then you’re also eligible to make a Gift Aid declaration.

What if I stop paying tax?

Just let us know and we will cancel your Gift Aid declaration. Email us at or call us on 020 7339 8500.

How do I make my declaration?

You can make your declaration by downloading our Gift Aid declaration form and sending the completed form back to us at The Ramblers, 2nd Floor Camelford House, 87-90 Albert Embankment, London, SE1 7TW.

What if I want to know more?

If you have further questions about Gift Aid please don't hesitate to contact us at or by calling us on 020 7339 8500.

Cotswold Outdoor