This is a linear walk
This five point something mile walk (depending on how much you wander) takes you from Victoria station, through St James Park, Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens, back to Paddington.
We will begin by walking to St James’s Park Lake, around Duck Island Cottage and towards Buckingham Palace. We will then walk through Green Park and Wellington Arch, into Hyde Park where we will do most of our exploring.
In Hyde Park, we will go through the rose garden, along the Serpentine, the Princess Diana memorial fountain, see The Arch by Henry Moore across the water, then the Physical Energy Statue, towards the Royal Albert Hall and into the Flower Walk. We will come out into Kensington Gardens, and see the Palace and have a walk around the Round Pond. We will finish at the Italian Gardens. This will be our lunch stop (unless people would like an earlier lunch).
After lunch, you are free to either carry on and do Part 2, have a free afternoon in London (you are not far from Oxford Street…) or you are free to go home. We are walking to Part 2 via Paddington, so you won’t need to find your own way back. If you are doing Part 1 and 2, it will be cheaper to get the London travel card as this includes tube and bus fare. (We can also stop at the Serpentine Cafe before hand if anyone would like a hot drink – please let me know on the walk.)
** Transport and Covid ** Please note that social distancing will likely be difficult on the train and non-existent on the tube. Masks must also be worn unless you are exempt. If you would like to avoid the tube, e.g. you do not like escalators, then please get an earlier train to London to give you extra time for the bus.
The start point and time for the walk is The Pasty Shop, Buckingham Palace Rd, London SW1V 1JU at 11:00. (As you come out of the tube, look towards Victoria train station and you should see The Pasty Shop on the street to the right of the station, next to Starbucks. You should also be able to see The Shakespeare pub opposite, which is 99 Buckingham Palace Road, SW1W 0RP.)
Whilst we are in the parks, please feel free to wander and walk at your own pace. Whilst we are walking to the parks, please keep up so we (i.e. the leader) doesn’t lose anyone.
** Toilets ** There are public toilets available on this route however, most charge 20p. Some accept contactless payment if you do not have change.
Public transport: 10:05 Reading – London Paddington, then tube via Oxford Circus to Victoria
By car: N/A
- If you or someone else from your household has COVID-19 symptoms, please do not attend.
- Please be considerate to other path users and step aside to let people past – and don’t forget to say ‘hi’ or 'thanks’!
- Please bring a packed lunch and a drink.
- Please bring a drink and a snack.
- It might be muddy – please wear suitable footwear.
- If it's a rainy day, please bring waterproofs.
- Please feel free to contact the leader with queries about the walk, or if you are delayed on the day.
- This walk is limited to 20 walkers including the walk leader
- Do not turn up for the walk without booking, else we will have to turn you away.
- Book a place on this walk by completing this Google Form. Booking will open the Wednesday evening before the walk.
- If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.