Group name: North Dorset
This group is a part of Dorset Area.
Following Government announcements on March 16th, Ramblers GB is suspending the following activities from Wednesday 18 March until at least 31 May 2020 – subject to further developments:
- all group led walks.
- all Ramblers Walking for Health schemes.
- all activities by Ramblers volunteers including training, path maintenance working groups, coach trips and holidays, meetings, group and social events
training for Ramblers.
- the Ramblers GB General Council conference due to be held in Bristol on 4-5 April.
The Ramblers North Dorset Group Committee has also taken the decision to extend the cancellation until the end of our current programme - that is June 2020.
THIS IS FROM RAMBLERS GB MAIN WEBSITE
24 March 2020
We are reviewing our guidance daily in response to the latest government advice. Our priority is to protect the health of our members, volunteers and staff and help to suppress the spread of the COVID-19 virus.
On Monday 23 March, the Government announced that people will only be allowed to leave their home for the following very limited purposes:
- shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
- one form of exercise a day – for example a walk, run or cycle – alone or with members of your household;
- any medical need, to provide care or to help a vulnerable person; and
- travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary.
In line with previous advice, if you choose to walk for exercise you are advised to only walk locally to where you live. You should walk alone or with people from your household. You should not walk with friends or in groups. Keep 2m (6ft) distance from anyone you pass on your walk.
If you’re are in a household with COVID-19 symptoms, you should self-isolate at home. Those aged 70 or older and those with pre-existing health conditions that put them at increased risk of COVID-19 are particularly advised to practice social distancing.
Please see Public Health England’s guidelines on social distancing.
If you choose to walk locally for exercise, please:
- Do not walk anywhere that you could get in to trouble and require the emergency services.
- Avoid touching gates, fences etc. If you do, wash your hands as soon as possible.
Thank you for supporting us at this difficult time.
PLEASE ALSO NOTE THE CANCELLATION OF THE PURBECK PLOD, WHICH HAD BEEN DUE TO TAKE PLACE ON JUNE 21ST.
The North Dorset area covers Evershot in the west of the County to Shaftesbury in the east, and Blandford Forum in the south, but walks take place in any part of Dorset, as well as South Somerset and SW Wiltshire.
The North Dorset Group aims to provide two walks each week, one midweek on Wednesdays, and one on Sundays. The distance for either ranges between 5 and 12 miles, with the occasional longer walk. We try to provide walks with 'added interest' when possible, and take part in path clearance work as the occasion arises. We encourage car sharing for our walks.
In 2020, a monthly 'shorter walks' programme will be trialled, on Saturday mornings, aiming to provide walks under 5 miles. These are planned to finish at or near a pub/cafe, with the option of a (self-funded) pub lunch, with the intention of being accessible by public transport.