These walks have been published over the years in our Stile Journal, contributed by our members. We have now made them available here on our website. If you missed them in the past, or have lost your old copy, you have another chance to try them out.
The walk descriptions (links below) include maps of the routes and places of interest you will see on the way.
If you have feedback on any of these walks, please contact the webmaster.
Location of the walks:
1. Manuden, north of Bishop's Stortford (4.3 miles)
2. St Albans Circle (12 miles) with Places of Interest
3. Dollis Valley - a taste of North London (10 miles linear)
4. Attenborough’s Fields and Merryhill, Bushey (5 miles)
5. Much Hadham: church, Bluebells and Henry Moore (6 miles)
6. River Ivel from Langford to Henlow, Beds (6 miles)
7. Pymmes Brook from Cockfosters to Arnos Grove (5 miles linear)
8. Therfield Heath and beyond (3 or 5 miles)
9. Chess Valley (7 or 5.5 miles)
10. Kingfisher Way from Radwell Meadows through Stotfold (5.5 miles)
11. Teddy’s Trails – 18 linear routes from Borehamwood Station (3 to 8 miles). Find individual route descriptions on the Elstree and Borehamwood Town Council site
12. Hemel Hempstead: exploring Box Moor Trust land (7 or 6.2 miles). Try out the seat installed in memory of Norman Jones on the edge of Hay Wood at grid reference TL029055.
13. Explore Enfield Chase. These walks explore permissive paths not shown on the OS map. Warning: In our view, the condition of the rights of way around the west side of Holly Hill Farm is now dangerous, so we withdraw options A, B and D until the situation changes. See Recent RoW changes. Long walks - option C (11.7 miles) and E (14 miles) are still usable. You will need to download main route details and the supplementary Description and Map of Long walk with options.
14. Oakland from the North Star pub via Harmer Green and Burnham Green (6.4 miles)
If you like a longer walk, the routes below were developed by N Herts group:
The websites give descriptions, shorter walks you can do using these routes and GPX tracks.
Hertfordshire Countryside Management Service (CMS) have routes for many walks from 2 to 10 miles on the CMS website - choose Walking and Cycling routes. Places of interest include the Wall Hall Estate around Aldenham Village - search for a leaflet with walks from 1 to 6 miles.
Sunday 24 March 2019Starting at 10:00A leisurely 10 mile / 16.1 km walk
Sunday 24 March 2019Meeting at 09:30, Starting at 10:00A moderate 11 mile / 17.7 km walk
Sunday 24 March 2019Starting at 09:30A moderate 9 mile / 14.5 km walk
Sunday 24 March 2019Starting at 10:00A leisurely 7.5 mile / 12.1 km walk
Sunday 24 March 2019Starting at 10:00A moderate 12 mile / 19.3 km walk
Sunday 24 March 2019Starting at 10:30A moderate 9 mile / 14.5 km walk
Sunday 24 March 2019Starting at 10:30A moderate 7 mile / 11.3 km walk
Tuesday 26 March 2019Starting at 10:00A moderate 5.5 mile / 8.8 km walk
Wednesday 27 March 2019Starting at 10:00A leisurely 4 mile / 6.4 km walk
Thursday 28 March 2019Starting at 10:00A moderate 6.5 mile / 10.5 km walk
Saturday 30 March 2019Starting at 10:00A moderate 5 mile / 8 km walk
Saturday 4 May 2019 to Sunday 12 May 2019Festival