These walks have been published over the years in our Stile Journal, contributed by our members. We have now made them available here on our website. If you missed them in the past, or have lost your old copy, you have another chance to try them out.
The walk descriptions (links below) include maps of the routes and places of interest you will see on the way. For each walk, please note the date of publication as there may have been changes since then. The GPX for most routes are now available to download via the GPX link for use on your GPS mapping device.
If you have feedback on any of these walks, please contact the webmaster.
Location of the walks:
1. Manuden, north of Bishop's Stortford (4.3 miles) 2008
2. St Albans Circle (12 miles) with Places of Interest 2010 GPX
3. Dollis Valley - a taste of North London (12 miles linear or 3 x 4 mile legs) 2020 GPX
4. Attenborough’s Fields and Merryhill, Bushey (5 miles) 2013 GPX
5. Much Hadham: church, Bluebells and Henry Moore (6 miles) rev2019 GPX
6. River Ivel from Langford to Henlow, Beds (6 miles) 2015
7. Pymmes Brook from Cockfosters to Arnos Grove (5 miles linear) 2014 GPX
8. Therfield Heath and beyond (3 or 5 miles) 2011
9. Chess Valley (7 or 5.5 miles) 2012 GPX
10. Kingfisher Way from Radwell Meadows through Stotfold (5.5 miles) 2009
11. Teddy’s Trails from Borehamwood Station. These routes are now available in a book - see bottom of page.
12. Hemel Hempstead: exploring Box Moor Trust land (7 or 6.2 miles). GPX Try out the seat installed in memory of Norman Jones on the edge of Hay Wood at grid reference TL029055. 2016
13. Explore Enfield Chase: Main route (6.5 or 7.2 miles). GPX These walks explore paths not shown on the OS map. Further walk options of 7 to 14 miles explore more unmapped paths - download the Description and Map of Long walk with options. (Note: the path around Holly Hill Farm is now passable again. See Recent RoW changes). 2019 update
14. Oakland from the North Star pub via Harmer Green and Burnham Green (6.4 miles) 2018 GPX
15. Heartwood Forest walks (7 or 5 miles) 2019 GPX
16. Tewin via Burnham Green and Bull’s Green (6 to 7 miles) 2019 GPX
If you like a longer walk, the routes below were developed by N Herts group:
The websites give descriptions, shorter walks you can do using these routes and GPX tracks.
Hertfordshire Countryside Management Service (CMS) have routes for many walks from 2 to 10 miles on the CMS website - choose Walking and Cycling routes. Places of interest include the Wall Hall Estate around Aldenham Village - search for a leaflet with walks from 1 to 6 miles.
Ten Walks in North Hertfordshire
Ten More Walks in North Hertfordshire
Each book describes ten walks of about six miles with description and OS map in colour. £5, plus £1 p+p. To order, email firstname.lastname@example.org saying which book you wish to order, with your name and address. Payment to be made to North Herts Ramblers. Sort code: 60-83-01. A/c: 20115700. Ref: Tenwalks/Your Name
Teddy's Trails: 18 linear routes from Borehamwood Station (3 to 8 miles). For details of how to order, see the Elstree and Borehamwood Town Council website.
Sunday 31 May 2020Starting at 10:00A moderate 7.3 mile / 11.8 km walk
Sunday 31 May 2020Starting at 10:00A moderate 13.5 mile / 21.7 km walk
Sunday 31 May 2020Starting at 10:00A leisurely 10 mile / 16.1 km walk
Tuesday 2 June 2020Starting at 10:00A leisurely 4.2 mile / 6.8 km walk
Tuesday 2 June 2020Starting at 10:00A moderate 6 mile / 9.7 km walk
Sunday 7 June 2020Starting at 10:00A leisurely 9 mile / 14.5 km walk
Sunday 7 June 2020Meeting at 09:15, Starting at 10:00A moderate 10 mile / 16.1 km walk
Tuesday 9 June 2020Starting at 10:00A moderate 5.5 mile / 8.8 km walk
Thursday 11 June 2020Starting at 10:00A moderate 7 mile / 11.3 km walk
Sunday 14 June 2020Starting at 10:00A leisurely 9 mile / 14.5 km walk
Sunday 14 June 2020Meeting at 09:30, Starting at 10:00A moderate 10 mile / 16.1 km walk
Wednesday 17 June 2020Starting at 19:00A moderate 4 mile / 6.4 km walk