Walk Reports






Led by Graham Barker


Linda and I pre-walked this route, The Great Ridge, yesterday. I didn't sleep all night after, knowing I had to do it again. Surely no one will come, after all there is a short Ranger walk to do instead. But they did, all 14 of 'em. I warned them it was 10 miles of misery, but they laughed in my face. Let misery commence. The shortest way up Lose Hill is straight up and off we went. At one point the new leader took a different path and his two followers missed their coffee break! At the top the views were magnificient and crystal clear. We joined the throng and set off towards Back Torr, where care was needed going down. On through Hollins Cross overlooking Edale village, then up the promenade to Mam Torr where the crowds had gathered to enjoy the view. After lunch we descended Winnats Pass into Castleton and a beeline for the toilets, it's a bit exposed up on the Ridge. Following the back footpath from Castleton to Hope we arrived in time for tea or coffee in a little teashop. I broke the news....it was only 8 miles. Only 8 they said, seemed like 12!




Led by Gill Burley


Did Robin Hood really walk all that way. You can see the remains of his tracks as you go, though they could be the tracks of local dog walkers, and trces of their dogs too. Our starting point was from Theives Wood. Appropriate I suppose. But someone had mischeviously changed the name in our booklet. A nice steady pace ensued, at a good speed, which was kept up the whole way. Are we on some kind of super diet? An average of 3.2 MPH was recorded, which may go down in the record book for ramblers of a pensionable age. A rough coffee stop, outmatched by an even rougher lunch stop where we were almost run over by a pesky cyclist on a footpath! We saw plenty of Sherwood Forest but by the end I felt as though we'd been to the New Forest.Phew! A nice walk Gill, Thank you.



Cannon Hall

Led by Tony Lodge ( and a ghostly Gill Burley?)


Mud, Mud glorious mud.... well you know the rest. All we needed was the potter's wheel. We set off and walked along muddy trails, muddy footpaths, muddy bridle paths, muddy cow visited paths, flooded paths and well just mud. We carried on over endless stiles to the promise of a pub lunch. We finally arrived at  The Red Lion in Silkstone where we made the place look busy for passing traffic. More mud followed for a while until after a wrong turn, which was just to see what was round the corner, we paddled through a submerging Cannon Hall park to the Car park in time to see the tea shop close for the day. Thank you Tony and your ghostly accomplice Gill.




Sat. 16/11/19. Led by Graham Barker.

A pleasant surprise after the recent deluge, a nice day. We started from Eakring, but a modified route to avoid muddy fields and footpaths by following bridle paths and tracks gave us a some what drier route. We had coffee at the local Oil Museum where during the WWII reserves of crude oil were discovered and exploited to fill a great need at the time. Eventually two and a half million barrels of crude oil were removed. We carried on through the village of Kirklington to the Southwell trail and had lunch at an old station before continuing along the trail. At a sign post we entered a muddy field but left the footpath to walk round the edge away from the mud. We past a farm and entered Hexgreave Hall Park where we stood gazing at the deer, who obligingly stood and gazed back. After the park we inspected some colourfull fungi then a large fairy ring. The faries must have been hiding as we didn't see any. Carefully negotiating a busy main road brought us to Belle 'Eau Park. Mmmm. Not too sure about the name, just another business park. Uphill led us to a ploughed field we had to cross, which made us grow a little taller, then onto the first track leading us back to Eakring. 10m.





Sat. 30/11/19. Led by Glenna Briggs.


Cold and frosty was the day, but 19 well wrapped walkers arrived at the church. Not for the wedding, but for the starting point. Unfortunately in terms of car parking, we clashed with the church Christmas fair! Anyway off we went with the possibility of our first diversion looming, as work was being carried out on the mainline rail crossing, but all was ok. We had an extensive amble through the village estate to arrive at the second diversion where the old pit tip had been moved and dumped over the footpath! We walked around the end of the pile where the leaders claimed to have seen a monkjack deer. No doubt an escapee from Santa's herd. We came to a bridge over the river Torne now renamed by our leader as the Amazon basin because of the proximity of the biggest Amazon building in the world! There appeared to be further work taking place to build more units in the area, but it seems they may be floating on the various lakes that had formed. We had a

a continuing story of the Roman occupation in the area as we threaded our way through the mud back towards Rossington, but on arrival back at the infamous railway crossing we found our way over closed. Whilst wondering which way round it appears we had been expected and transport had been provided in the shape of mini-buses by the contractors to bypass the unfortunate closure, so we piled in, mud and all, and were shipped back to our destination. Thank you Glenna, a nice touch!




Led by Alan & Margaret Mettam

Wed. 11/12/'19.

We are doing quite well lately with the weather it seems for another fine day greeted us for this walk, following the river Idle to Retford and then joining the Chesterfield Canal via Hayton back to the wetlands. We had a good viewing of wildfowl on the wetlands which was showing damage from the recent floods, as we approached the track leading to Retford. Morrisons supermarket had additional trade as well for some of our members took the opportunity to do a quick shop whilst we were there, myself included. Postage stamps would you believe. Gosh, aren't they expensive! I think I will stick to texting and e mails. Coffee in the park gardens, the rose garden to be precise, not many roses out. We joined the canal after this and followed it for the next couple of hours to the pub at Hayton. On resumption of our walk I felt a little pain in my right leg, which began to worsen as we went. I was eventually in need of attention! Promptly given by Sharon in the form of massage. To my leg I must add. Though it did no good. Well I started to fall behind as a result. Plenty of encouragement was forthcoming, together with derogatory comment as well, but hey, you give as good as you get. Anyway, it turns out I had pulled my tendon, but where was Glenna when she was needed! I made it back, but rest is required. Happy New Year.

Thank you to Alan and Margaret and all my carers.





Walk Reports. 2020



Langold, Firbeck circular.


A new year, and how better to start it off, walking.

A later time to take in members thick heads. So a local walk led by our stalwart leader Tony because Ivor is unfortunately laid on his sick bed. Over indulgence? No, he has a heavy cold.

On arrival at Langold, I was amazed to find a full car park. Deciding not to park at the roadside within the park because of the narrowness, I went back outside the park within a short layby. OK.

Once ready we joined the main throng and set off, retracing our steps past the new parking position and on through the woods towards Firbeck. Another fine day for our walk, though the going was a little muddy. We chatted and joked our way round to Firbeck community centre for our one scheduled stop, together with some light refreshments including rum & brandy. I had a decision to make, with my damaged leg tendon in mind. So far so good. We left Firbeck and carried on to Letwell where the time for decision came. Onward was the cry, and we passed Letwell to approach Langold Country park from the opposite end. Then the fun started. Muddy fun that is. I think it will be some time before everything dries up underfoot. The fields were really wet! Once back at the car park I was amazed to see how many cars were parked where I had decided not to because of the narrow road. Mmmm....

Thank you Tony. Once again you have saved the day.








Led by Sharon Umpleby.




Mud, mud glorious mud! That's an old song, and how on earth could it be glorious. Well it was written for the hippopotamus creatures and we adopted the idea, that's if last Wednesday was anything to go by. A good turnout of 30 walkers to sample the conditions left by the recent storms of Ciara and Daniel. My youngest grandson is called Daniel, but he's just a storm in a teacup really. On the other hand the storm named after him was something entirely different. Just how the people affected by it are managing the terrible aftermath I don't know. We yomped our way round the walk with much squelching, slipping and sliding toward an early coffee stop, when, Oh dear! Val had forgotten her rucksack! “ Ah, never mind” was the call, “she can share my snack.” But no, she wouldn't hear of it. “It's just part of my diet plan” she said. Then we ploughed through a ploughed field. Does that sound right? Well that's what we did. Up a wet grass field and into the pleasant and peaceful lands of affluent Scholes. We approached Kepple's column by way of more wet grassland, then took a route which ought to have had a ferry service running, to get to Barker's park for lunch. You would think that if you have a park named after you, you might get a chance at a seat for lunch. No. Serves me right for dawdling. We retraced our steps through the Lake district and descended down through the woods to more ploughed fields, to continue our adventure. The walk through Wentworth park gave us a good view of the deer herd so out came the cameras for a photo' shoot, then back into the village and the comfort of the cars, with some enjoying a picnic eating Val's sandwiches!

Thank you Sharon for a nice (muddy) walk.




WED. 04/03/20.

Led by Neil Fulcher.

As snakes go, this was quite long and twisting. We were warned that perhaps it might be muddy, and also we would be following trails that were 'off the map' so to speak! Has anyone watched on TV, 'I'm a celebrity?' I was thinking about the jungle trails! Well sure enough, we were off the map at times. But I must emphasise, we were not trespassing as such. Close to, but not quite. I think there were 20, or 21, or maybe 22 of us. No one was quite sure, including both the leader and the back marker, who's name will not be mentioned because at times he wasn't the back marker. Down through the Silverwood  woods to Thrybergh Reservoir, first going right around the water, stopping for coffee (and ginger cake) then completing the circuit of the water and back to Ravenfield through the jungle. Past the church and over to the famous ponds. Through Firsby to the mud slide! After the slide we wandered through Hooton Roberts on our approach to our lunch appointment, where reservations had been made for us to use the picnic tables outside, whilst erstwhile patrons passed us to gain salubrious comfort within. Here we were at the 7m. point. I was sat with John Short who gave me the welcome news of his impending departure back to Ravenfield as by that time he had had enough of this snakey thing! I went with him to keep him company! We did 9.5m. I have yet to discover what other adventures were had by the rest of the twenty odd or so walkers, and how far they actually got because it seems no one was quite sure that was going to be!