What we do

Outdoor access rights and responsibilities 

The Kinross and Ochil Ramblers Group is lucky to be situated in an area with numerous core paths, public rights of way, paths and tracks. When planning a walk, Walk Leaders need to be aware of the legislation relating to access rights in Scotland. For advice and support on access issues (particularly obstructions) please contact our Group Access Officer via the Group Secretary.  

Rights and responsibilities 

The right to take responsible non-motorised access in Scotland is provided for by the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 (LRA). The Scottish Outdoor Access Code (SOAC) has been produced to explain what is meant by responsible behaviour in any situation for both the 'access taker' and the 'land manager'. 

It answers questions like: 

  • Where can I go to enjoy the countryside without disturbing anyone who lives or works in the countryside? 

  • Do I have the right to walk, cycle, ride or camp in an area which belongs to someone else? 

  • Do I need to pay attention to notices telling me to 'keep out'? 

Is all land covered by access rights? 

Not all land is within access rights, exceptions include gardens, school playing fields and growing crops.  

At times there may be a special event or area where normal access rights are not appropriate, in these cases an order of exemption can be applied. Reasons for exemptions might include: 

  • Allowing a charge to be made for a particular event 

  • In the interests of safety and security 

  • Increasing privacy for particular events 

Obstructions to public access 

If you are prevented from exercising your right of responsible access by an obstruction, such as a locked gate, intimidating sign or person, you may wish to report the situation to the Council for advice or investigation. In these circumstances you should ensure your report is as full as possible and should include: 

  • an accurate description of the location of the obstruction, including map-based grid reference if possible 

  • an accurate description of the date and circumstances encountered 

  • a digital photograph of the obstruction if possible 

  • your contact details including phone number and e-mail address 

Ideally you should make your report by e-mail to the Access Officer of the relevant local council. They will acknowledge and record your report and may contact you to discuss it further or investigate it with a view to resolving the obstruction.