This 6.5 mile easy walk around Mortimer goes across fields and through the woodlands around Mortimer and towards Silchester. The walk will give you chance to visit the ancient Roman town of Calleva and the Amphitheatre.
This is a circular walk
We will meet at Mortimer Station for a 1.00pm start. Leaving the Station we will head towards the beautiful St Mary’s CofE Church and following part of one of the Berkshire Circular Route walks. This will lead us towards the back of Silchester where we have the chance to go and visit the ancient Amphitheatre which is outside the walls of the old Roman City – ‘Calleva’.
Along the walk we will find ourselves with great views across Berkshire (weather permitting). We will be able to see the Hannington Aerial in the distance but turning yourself round you will see the spire of the Church in Mortimer (a different church to the one we walk past at the beginning).
The walk will lead us past Butler’s Lands Copse before joining back up with the Berkshire Circular Route and leading us back to the station in Mortimer.
This is an easy graded walk as it’s mainly flat.
Public transport: If you are coming from Reading by train, take the 12.38pm which will arrive at Mortimer station for 12.51pm. If the train is late, the start of the walk will be too.
By car: Limited parking is available at Mortimer Station – but charges will apply. There is street parking available within a couple of minutes’ walk of the station.
- If you or someone else from your household has COVID-19 symptoms, please do not attend.
- Please be considerate to other path users and step aside to let people past – and don’t forget to say ‘hi’ or 'thanks’!
- Please bring a drink and a snack.
- Please note: there is NO lunch stop on this walk.
- It might be muddy – please wear suitable footwear.
- If it's a rainy day, please bring waterproofs.
- Please feel free to contact the leader with queries about the walk, or if you are delayed on the day.
- Do not turn up for the walk without booking, else we will have to turn you away.
- Book a place on this walk by completing this Google Form. Booking will open the Wednesday evening before the walk.
- If you have any queries, please email email@example.com.