This is a circular walk
Important: this route will be muddy in parts even if it is dry the week before the walk because a lot of it is through woods and shaded paths. Please therefore wear sensible shoes i.e. walking shoes or boots. Additionally, if you have walking poles you may find these helpful in places. This walk will be walked at a fast pace as we have two brewery stops.
1–4 miles: starting from Hanborough Railway Station, we will head out towards the village of Combe passing through fields and following much of the River Evenlode, as we near towards the village of Combe we will bear west towards the North Leigh Roman Villa where we will stop for our lunch overlooking the ruins of the villa.
4–8 miles: after lunch we will press swiftly on through wooded paths along streams and brooks before passing through fields to our first brewery of the day, Church Hanbrewery on the New Yatt Business Estate. The brewery naturally does a good range of fresh beer, but also wine / soft drinks / coffee & tea – see website for more details.
8–12.7 miles: after being suitably refreshed we will now turn back east heading along country lanes and through fields to reach our second brewery of the day, Little Ox Brewery – they have on offer beer and soft drinks (sorry no coffee or tea) and will have a street food van offering food. After leaving Little Ox Brewery there is the option for one final drink stop if we have a wait till the train arrives at the George and Dragon pub.
NB: if you wish to not join us for the second brewery then you may walk the 1.6 miles straight through Long Hanborough back to the station which takes around 30 minutes. Alternatively there is an infrequent bus (233) which will whisk you back to the station in around 5 mins, see timetable here.
By public transport
From Reading, take the 09:20 train, arriving in Hanborough at 09:53. You can also catch this train from Oxford at 09:45.
From Didcot Parkway, take the 09:07 train and change onto the above at Oxford. From Newbury, take the 08:46 and change onto the above at Reading.
Parking is available at Hanborough station (APCOA 2191 – £2.50 for the day).
- If you or someone else from your household has COVID-19 symptoms, please do not attend.
- Please bring a packed lunch and a drink.
- It might be muddy – please wear suitable footwear.
- Please feel free to contact the leader with queries about the walk, or if you are delayed on the day.
- This walk is limited to 30 walkers including the walk leader
- Do not turn up for the walk without booking, else we will have to turn you away.
- Book a place on this walk by completing the form on our website. Booking will open the Wednesday evening before the walk.
- If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.