Thanks to The Wey & Arun Canal Trust we can begin our walk along the towpath of the restored canal/Wey South Path from Loxwood. We will return from the opposite direction along the towpath from an aqueduct. The canal, originally built between 1787 - 1816 (various sections and additions) created a missing link between Britain’s inland waterways and the English Channel and was 23 miles in length. It was officially abandoned in 1871 and became derelict over much of its length. Several miles and locks have been restored and are now navigable.
Between the sections of towpath we walk through lovely West Sussex countryside close to the Surrey Border along the aptly named Sussex Border Path.
Free car parking at the rear of the Lord Onslow Arms public house. Parts of the walk are along quiet country lanes.
The terrain is generally good with a few shallow inclines but it can be a little rough underfoot through wooded areas and expect some mud.
Please bring a snack/lunch.
Pub at the end of the walk.
Dogs on lead please.