Walking in Lothian and the Borders
Welcome to the Ramblers across Lothian and Borders - we extend a very warm welcome to all new walkers, visitors and guests. We have ten groups across Lothian and Borders who organise more than 55 walks every month and offer a huge array of walks for all levels of fitness both within Lothian and Borders and further afield. We have:
- walks from 2.5 miles to 12 miles plus in length
- strolls to challenging Munros
- weekend, mid week and evening walks
- walks by coach, car and public transport
- family walks for little legs
You’ll see our full programme of walks listed here and if you think you might enjoy walking with us, please take a look at the list, choose a walk and get in touch with the relevant group.
Our walks are graded to give you a guide. If you are unsure what level to try, please contact the walk leader for more details before you decide if the walk is for you.
- A+ - Up to 15 miles/24 km or more, as above at a more demanding pace and frequently with exposure and requiring equipment such as ice axes and crampons.
- A - Up to 15 miles/24 km steep ascents and descents often over very rough terrain at a demanding pace.
- B+ - Up to 12 miles/19 km similar to B but more strenuous with longer distances and more ascent. Munro and Corbett walks can be graded as B+ but will be paced at a slower speed than A walks.
- B - Up to 10 miles/16 km moderately demanding with hills generally on tracks or paths at a moderate pace.
- C+ - Up to 7 miles/11 km at a leisurely pace with some ascent or over roughish ground.
- C - Up to 7 miles/11 km at a leisurely pace on good paths and tracks. Low hills and/or undulating ground.
- D - Up to 4 miles/6.5 km at a slow pace on level ground.
If you’d like to become a member, we welcome you and encourage you to explore our different groups and join the one which suits you best. Many groups run social events and holidays and some organise working parties to improve paths.
We strongly recommend you join a group, rather than the area when you sign up. That way you’ll receive useful emails and information about walks and other activities from your group and you’ll get the maximum benefit from your Ramblers membership. Once a member you’re free to walk with any Ramblers groups not only in our area, but across Scotland and the whole of GB. We hope you enjoy many wonderful walks with us!
Photo © Richard Webb (cc-by-sa/2.0)